eaching is one of my great passions. I love to teach! My very first job, at age 14, was teaching sailing in Chesapeake Bay. In high school, I started teaching private percussion lessons and have continued teaching music in one capacity or another ever since. Along the way, I have also been a SCUBA diving instructor and a helicopter flight instructor. It seems that in whatever activity I get involved, I find a way to teach it. I love the stimulating intellectual challenges that come from working with students and interacting with my fellow teachers.
|At USC Commencement with Alex Miller, one of our newly-minted DMAs in Composition. and former electro-acoustic music student of mine.
I have been incredibly fortunate to have many great teachers throughout my education, and I consider my teaching efforts a chance to “pay it forward” to current and future generations. It is both an honor and a privilege to serve as Professor of Audio Design Practice and Assistant Dean of the USC Iovine and Young Academy for Arts, Technology and the Business of Innovation and to work with the amazing students at the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, and every day I look forward to those interactions.
Prior to my current position, I taught composition, synthesis, and music technology for a year in the Texas Christian University School of Music, 8 years in the USC Thornton School of Music, and 13 years in the University of Oklahoma School of Music. Before that, I was the Director of Bands for 5 years in the Music Department of Oklahoma Christian University.
- Refining Sound: A Practical Guide to Synthesis and Synthesizers, Published by Oxford University Press
- ECHODamp™ Software Application for Mixing Audio and Controlling Echo in Musical Videoteleconferences, Licensed and Distributed by the USC Stevens Institute for Innovation
- Internet2 and Musical Applications (pdf), Proceedings of the National Association of Schools of Music 84th Annual Meeting; 2008
- Teaching Music Through Advanced Network Videoconferencing (pdf), Proceedings of the National Association of Schools of Music 76th Annual Meeting; 2000
- The Symbolic Elements of Messiaen's Work for Wind Ensemble, Couleurs De La Cité Céleste (pdf), Journal of Band Research Volume 18, no. 1; 1982
- Percussion Maintenence: Tips for the Band Director (pdf), The Instrumentalist Volume 33, no. 9; 1979
- Preparing a Percussion Audition (pdf), Percussive Notes Volume 17, no. 3; 1979